Finding a good job is the number one challenge facing thousands of ex-offenders entering the free world each day. Without a decent job and support network to help meet immediate food, housing, transportation, and health care needs, and often saddled with onerous financial obligations, many ex-offenders fall back on old dysfunctional habits.
What should ex-offenders do in order to land a good job? Where should they go to find a job they do well and enjoy doing? What strategies work best for them? This book provides important answers to many re-entry questions facing ex-offenders. Beginning with an examination of 20 myths/realities and 22 principles for success, one of America's leading employment and re-entry experts reveals 10 steps to job and career success:
1. Examine and change your attitudes
2. Seek assistance and become proactive
3. Select appropriate job search approaches
4. Assess skills and identify motivational pattern
5. State a powerful objective
6. Conduct research on jobs and communities
7. Write effective resumes and letters
8. Network for information, advice, and referrals
9. Develop winning job interview skills
10. Negotiate salary and benefits like a pro
The book includes two special chapters - (1) how to survive and prosper on the job as well as advance your career, and (2) how to best navigate the electronic world after spending so much time behind a prison firewall!
Filled with practical examples, exercises, self-tests, and resources, here's the book that can make a big difference for ex-offenders and those who assist them. © 2015. 240 pp. 7" x 10" Softcover.